Silas will be

1,154 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Big G
BallDawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
by far the most important, and valuable piece to this team next year. As it stands, it appears he will be probably our only true point guard on the team in my eyes. I don't view Montgomery or Lawrence at true point guards or better facilitators/playmakers than Silas, even if they can pick up minutes and hold it down here and there. I think Silas will play 30-32 minutes a game next year, and the bulk of our offense, setting it up, running it, and controlling tempo will fall on him. I think he showed progress in his playmaking ability and improved at running an offense at the SEC level. Unless we get another true point guard, it will be on him. This off season will be extremely important for him to develop and get more comfortable in the Mike White system and be able to handle the usage. He showed flashes of his athleticism, finishing, and getting to the rim last year, but still needs to work on his touch and outside shooting. He is a pretty solid defender and rebounder at his size, so I trust him to hold his own on that end. I think if he has a good year, we have a great year, I think if he does not take a step forward, unfortunately we are held back. I know that is a lot on the shoulder of a sophomore in college, but he had a lot of run last year and to me him sticking around and not leaving shows he embraces this role and wants to handle it. He is my favorite player on the roster, and was last year, and wish the best for him. I think he could easily be an ALL-SEC caliber player in the future.
Big G
When he gets to know his teammates he will be a force Silas stays in Attack mode and look out SEC
Big G
He will be good . Just keep him here
Monkdawg
BallDawg said:

by far the most important, and valuable piece to this team next year. As it stands, it appears he will be probably our only true point guard on the team in my eyes. I don't view Montgomery or Lawrence at true point guards or better facilitators/playmakers than Silas, even if they can pick up minutes and hold it down here and there. I think Silas will play 30-32 minutes a game next year, and the bulk of our offense, setting it up, running it, and controlling tempo will fall on him. I think he showed progress in his playmaking ability and improved at running an offense at the SEC level. Unless we get another true point guard, it will be on him. This off season will be extremely important for him to develop and get more comfortable in the Mike White system and be able to handle the usage. He showed flashes of his athleticism, finishing, and getting to the rim last year, but still needs to work on his touch and outside shooting. He is a pretty solid defender and rebounder at his size, so I trust him to hold his own on that end. I think if he has a good year, we have a great year, I think if he does not take a step forward, unfortunately we are held back. I know that is a lot on the shoulder of a sophomore in college, but he had a lot of run last year and to me him sticking around and not leaving shows he embraces this role and wants to handle it. He is my favorite player on the roster, and was last year, and wish the best for him. I think he could easily be an ALL-SEC caliber player in the future.
I'm looking forward to seeing how Demary improves next season. 6'5" PGs don't grow on trees. I do think we are searching for a backup PG, but Leffew could probably handle the spot if needed. I think as a team we will improve our outside shooting because 1) we have better outside shooters and 2) having the inside threat of Newell, Cyril and Godfrey will create more open outside shots. And I hope we run, run, run....
BallDawg
This is why I hope we get a backup point guard. If we could get Leffew to worry about scoring and shooting the ball as his main focus, that relief of duty from being a ball handler would be a huge weight off his shoulders. Same thing with Montgomery, Lawrence, and Cain, if they can worry about scoring, meaning we get a backup PG, I think that does wonders for our guards. I trust all of them besides maybe Blue? Even though he has shown he can at times, to push the ball up and down the court in transition. Athletic bigs, quick guards, we have to be running up and down for 40 minutes a game if we can.
Monkdawg
BallDawg said:

This is why I hope we get a backup point guard. If we could get Leffew to worry about scoring and shooting the ball as his main focus, that relief of duty from being a ball handler would be a huge weight off his shoulders. Same thing with Montgomery, Lawrence, and Cain, if they can worry about scoring, meaning we get a backup PG, I think that does wonders for our guards. I trust all of them besides maybe Blue? Even though he has shown he can at times, to push the ball up and down the court in transition. Athletic bigs, quick guards, we have to be running up and down for 40 minutes a game if we can.
I know we are looking for a backup PG. We had a kid in for a visit recently, I believe. I can't make up my mind which position is a priority. Personally, I think I would like a topline starter at SF as my 1st priority. Failing that, I think it's a toss-up between a backup PG and a backup C. Thinking about it, I might push for a backup C over PG because we have 5 guards but only 2 Cs - one a freshman and the other a transfer from a lower level of play who is really more suitable as a PF than C. Me? I would ideally like to fill all 3 positions.
BallDawg
I'd love to fill all positions. But this late in the process? Doubt we can fill it with 3 quality SEC scholarship players. This is why at this point, I'm really in favor of frank coming back but I wouldn't count on it at all. That would make our recruiting so much easier and take off so much stress.
Monkdawg
BallDawg said:

I'd love to fill all positions. But this late in the process? Doubt we can fill it with 3 quality SEC scholarship players. This is why at this point, I'm really in favor of frank coming back but I wouldn't count on it at all. That would make our recruiting so much easier and take off so much stress.
We may be looking outside the portal....
BallDawg
Heard that. Watch out for christian Anderson. 4 star from lovett. Good scorer, played against him and watched him play. Really wouldn't love the pick up and doubt he would play. He's pretty small but he can score. Mixed feelings on it.
Monkdawg
BallDawg said:

Heard that. Watch out for christian Anderson. 4 star from lovett. Good scorer, played against him and watched him play. Really wouldn't love the pick up and doubt he would play. He's pretty small but he can score. Mixed feelings on it.
We really need a facilitator not a scorer at PG.
BallDawg
Exactly why I wouldn't love the pickup. Kinda wasting a scholarship
Big G
To finish this roster, a combo guard who shoots and passes well, a 3 like Khani Rooth,and defense minded back up Center would be great, and get ready for the big dance.
BallDawg
We stopped recruiting rooth a while ago.
Big G
Any idea who may they maybe looking at this point?
Monkdawg
Big G said:

Any idea who may they maybe looking at this point?
There's a Serbian PG in the 2025 class that looks to be reclassifying. He came to Athens for a visit recently. We just got predictions that we would pick him up. I like his film. Savo Drezgic, I think is his name.
Big G
Saw his highlights, a very good shooter and playmaker, fits uga like a glove. Savo seems a very controlled, and late in close game thats needed,like him.
Chuckwagon
we need a Larry Bird type shooter
Monkdawg
Chuckwagon said:

we need a Larry Bird type shooter
Does anyone not need a Larry Bird type shooter? LOL
Big G
Hopeful for both Savo and Wooga sounds a little like a dream,but this the new basketball dawgs , seem possible !!!!!!! Anyone has any word on recruits .EXCITING !!!!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.