Non-Dawg - What in the hell are the Falcons doing?

615 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by UGAdawg
Monkdawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I swear every year I never understand their draft strategy. Spend multimillions on a QB only to draft one in the first round, who you hope may not play for at least 2 years. A 1st round pick needs to be able to play immediately. The Falcons don't have the luxury of stashing a 1st round pick for several years when they have to fill multiple needs at other positions. How does that pick help you win now? Just insane....
UGAdawg
Monk - I've been a Falcons fan since 1966 and I could not sleep well last night. Like you, I do not understand this pick at all. We need defense-particularly a pass rusher. Every defensive player in the draft was available at the time we picked at #8. We wasted a golden opportunity to help our defense in the first round.
Monkdawg
UGAdawg said:

Monk - I've been a Falcons fan since 1966 and I could not sleep well last night. Like you, I do not understand this pick at all. We need defense-particularly a pass rusher. Every defensive player in the draft was available at the time we picked at #8. We wasted a golden opportunity to help our defense in the first round.
Like you, I have cheered for the Falcons as long as I can remember. If I had any hair, I would have pulled it out last night. Backup QB was not a position of need, particularly for a 1st pick. Just insanity. They seem to do this every year. I swear a few fans could get together any do a better job than their front office.... I'm just giving up on pro ball.
UGAdawg
I feel your same frustration. I will stick with them though, watching every Sunday. Been doing it so long I don't know what else to do. At this point I just can't image myself being anything other than a Falcons fan. I don't want to be anything else.But, I swear the front office just makes me angry with moves like this - and there is nothing we can do about it. At any rate lets just hope that we can rebound in the rest of the draft. My fingers will be crossed.
Dawg44
I'm hoping they drafted him to trade for several more good picks? Getting maybe three good new players instead of just one?
Monkdawg
Dawg44 said:

I'm hoping they drafted him to trade for several more good picks? Getting maybe three good new players instead of just one?
The problem is that none of the draft analysts had him chosen before about #35 at the earliest. I heard one had him at #52. The Falcons drafted him waaaay too early. Nobody is gonna give 3 picks for a player that is already 24 and has 5 prior injuries. This move makes absolutely no sense.... We are paying Cousins $45 million and now have to pay 1st round QB money to Penix. Absurd.
Dawg44
You make a lot of good points. But I can still dream?
UGAdawg
I agree. I must say it is not that I don't believe in his talent, or don't like him as a player. From what I gathered today he is the last QB since Patrick Mahomes to have back to back years with 4500+ passing yards in a season. It is the injury issue/concern for me. This definetely warrants a hit to his draft stock. We probably could have gotten him in the 2nd round (We will have the #40 overall pick) since they obviously wanted to get him. With that being said, we would have been able to select the first defensive player selected in the draft at #8 overall. I don't believe he would have been selected in Rd 1 at all since it appears to me all the other teams were drafting to address needs.First Rd money for him is just way to much to pay considering $100M of Cousins' $180M contract is gaurenteed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.